Delaware State University
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Delaware State University
Company Order Number:
# of openings:
Delaware State University
Vacancy Announcement -- Groundskeeper
Department of Facilities Management
Apply online at www.desu.edu
Applications will be accepted until position is filled
General Description of the Job
Perform diversified skilled labor of average difficulty in support of the operation of the University and maintenance of campus.
The following are the functions essential to performing this job.
1. Work indoor and/or outdoor performing heavy, manual labor in all weather conditions.
2. Loads and unloads materials and equipment from motor vehicles.
3. Maintains secondary roads, parking area and sidewalks, as directed, to include policing and snow removal.
4. Maintain lawns, gardens, athletic tracks and fields, etc., as directed, including but not limited to mowing, planting, cultivating, transplanting, watering and conditioning.
5. Set up and dismantle furniture and equipment for various university events.
6. Properly operate automotive equipment, machines and maintain them.
7. May operate equipment for fumigation and pest or rodent control under close supervision.
8. Be required to report to work during emergency situations, such as during snowstorms and ice storm, as directed by department/university policies.
9. Perform all other related duties as assigned.
Individuals in this job may be assigned one or more of the following tasks on a rotating or as-needed basis.
1. Must work Saturdays and Sundays with two days off to be determined according to the needs of the University.
2. Must pass and agree to random and on-demand drug testing as a condition of employment.
3. Must pass and agree to routine/random on demand physical fitness and agility test.
4. Must maintain a satisfactory driving record and background criminal history as determined by the campus police.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The individual in this job must possess these skills and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that they can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
1. Good physical condition with no restriction performing heavy, manual labor or lifting.
2. Must have technical skill in either landscaping or mechanics from formal training or experience.
3. Demonstrates the ability to read, understand and follow oral and written instructions and to learn operational procedures for special equipment.
1. Education: High School graduate or GED.
2. Successful experience: Three years of experience in manual work, may be substituted in a year to year basis
3. Other preferences: Must be able to operate industry /farm equipment.
4. Valid driver’s license required.
The criteria for evaluation in this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Reliable attendance and work results
2. Interaction and working relationship with co-workers and customers.
3. Completion and quality of work according to established guidelines and timelines.
Note: The University reserves the right to change or reassign job duties as provided in policy and negotiated agreements.
Delaware State University is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate because of race, creed, national or ethnic origin, sex or disability.