Southern States Cooperative, inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Southern States Cooperative, inc.
Job TitleRetail/Sales Associate
LocationSmyrna-Clayton Coop Inc-18321
Area of InterestRetail Store
Leads and performs a variety of customer support and facility operations functions as directed at SSC Retail and Petroleum locations. Relies on technical knowledge of facility products and services to handle complex customer inquiries and operations issues. Coaches new team members, conducts on-the-job training, and may distribute assignments to showroom or warehouse staff. Works under general supervision.
Essential Job Functions
This position performs and leads essential job functions found in cashier, merchandising and sales, warehouse, plant nursery, and/or delivery driver roles. Essential job functions will vary by division and location.
- Communicate regularly with supervisor about daily operations. Effectively utilize leadership skills to motivate team to provide a positive customer experience, meet sales and operations goals, and ensure safety. May distribute assignments to team members.
- Train new employees to effectively operate assigned tools and equipment, including point of sale terminals, hand held scanners, forklifts, pallet jacks and other related equipment. Lead on-the-job training and product demonstrations. Coach new hires with sales techniques, product knowledge, product usage, and general facility guidelines.
- Discuss merchandise needs with customers in a welcoming and professional manner. Assist customers with quickly locating items in the facility, or schedule deliveries as needed. Rely on expertise to provide information during product selection and make recommendations for usage and maximum effectiveness.
- Proactively identify opportunities to assist customers and facilitate efficient service. Assess the need for loading assistance, resolve customer pricing and merchandise inquiries, ensure merchandise is accessible to customers and offer assistance as needed. Handle escalated and complex customer issues with skill and diplomacy. Fill customer orders accurately with merchandise from showroom floor and/or warehouse. Load customer vehicles as needed. Effectively utilize proper equipment and tools.
- Ensure a neat and professional showroom presentation according to facility guidelines. Replenish merchandise, face and organize products on shelving. Regularly check and update signage, pricing, and shelf labeling for accuracy. Cross-stage merchandise with companion products. Interpret diagrams to build merchandise displays, may move shelving and fixtures. Utilize proper lifting techniques and equipment in accordance with facility procedures.
- Assist cashiers with complex transactions including exchanges, returns, discounts and markdowns. Open and close point-of-sale system and balance register. Process checkout transactions utilizing point-of-sale equipment, including: cash registers, hand held scanners and credit/debit card terminals. Accurately handle cash and make change.
- Provide specialized support and product expertise to customers via telephone. Answer incoming telephone calls from customers in a professional and courteous manner. Communicate information regarding order status, product availability, current sales, promotions and store events. Contact customers regarding their orders, and arrange for pick-up or delivery. Depending upon location, may deliver merchandise to customers.
- Receive merchandise into the warehouse. Inspect shipments and paperwork to verify order accuracy and ensure product quality. Process order errors or damaged products according to facility guidelines. Effectively utilize forklifts, pallet jacks and other equipment to unload and store merchandise in proper warehouse location. Stage merchandise for showroom restocking, upcoming deliveries and loading customer vehicles.
- Assist facility manager with leading physical inventory counts in the showroom and/or warehouse.
- Deliver merchandise to customer locations. Operate SSC delivery vehicles according to procedures and in keeping with government regulations.
- Maintain the health and overall appearance of plant material in the garden center. Perform deadheading, pruning, regular watering, movement and rotation of plants in optimum sun/shade locations.
- Lead daily housekeeping duties according to facility procedures to ensure a neat, clean and welcoming environment.
- Assist manager with handling escalated security concerns. Monitor entrances and exits in an effort to promote store security, safety, and to minimize merchandise loss. Request receipt or proof of payment in keeping with facility procedures.
- Maintain awareness of industry trends and developments in the local growing community. Participate in on-line courses, training classes, and/or seminars, as outlined in development plan.
- Perform work safely as to not cause harm to yourself, customers, co-workers, equipment, or inventory. Utilize Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as required. Operate all equipment according to SSC policy and government regulations. Comply with OSHA regulations, Southern States Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) standards, work rules and policies.
- Perform all other job functions as assigned.
Education: Requires a High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED)
Experience: Requires 2-3 years of sales and/or warehouse experience in agriculture, livestock, pet care, equine, plant science, petroleum, or related industry. Demonstrated leadership skills preferred. Previous Southern States work experience strongly preferred.
- Able to consistently demonstrate customer-focused interpersonal skills, communicate in a positive and professional manner and resolve complex customer inquiries
- Effective knowledge of specialized area(s) including petroleum/propane fuel products, equine, livestock, pet, home, farm, and/or lawn & garden.
- Able to consistently apply knowledge of facility guidelines and standard operating procedures
- Able to effectively apply knowledge of a wide variety of merchandise in order to correctly answer customer questions of varying complexity and make recommendations
- Able to effectively utilize required equipment and tools, including forklift and/or point-of-sale terminal
- Able to add, subtract, multiply, divide and calculate percentages using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals
- Attention to detail, especially when handling inventory, equipment and tools, or cash transactions
- Able to speak, read, write the English language in a proficient manner
- Able to work extended hours to meet business demands
- May require the safe operation of a SSC motor vehicle to perform essential job functions and mandatory compliance with the SSC motor vehicle safety policy
Performs essential job functions in multiple environments, including: climate controlled showroom, warehouse subject to seasonal humidity and temperature changes, and outdoors not protected from weather conditions when accessing merchandise, equipment or tools.
Regularly exposed to hazards, including:
- Merchandise, supplies and tools with sharp edges or containing hazardous materials
- Dust, odors, fumes and hazardous chemicals associated with the sale and storage of dry and liquid fertilizers, crop protectants, petroleum and/or propane products, and other agricultural, residential, animal care and home care products
- Moving mechanical parts and vehicles, vibrations and electric current
- Drafts, temperature changes, and wet floors due to facility doors opening during adverse weather and due to merchandising and care of plant material
- Noise levels where hearing protection is optional per PPE Plan
Schedule requirements will vary based on location. Extended hours and/or alternate work schedules may be required. Ability to report to work on time and in adverse weather conditions is required.
Physical Activities & Requirements
Physical activities and requirements will vary with essential job functions.
- Continuously bend and stoop; finger, handle an utilize repetitive hand motion with merchandise and tools; reach with arms and hands for extended periods; stand and walk for extended periods, at times may be on concrete or uneven surfaces; utilize eye/hand coordination; twist back and neck. Pull, push, lift, carry up to 50 pounds.
- Frequently climb, crouch, stack, and sweep. Driving may be required and can vary from continuous to occasionally. Pull, push, lift, carry 50-80 pounds, may be assisted.
- Occasionally balance, kneel and shovel. Pull, push, lift, carry 80-100 pounds, may be assisted.
Must be able to speak to co-workers and customers regarding operations and safety. Must be able to hear customer service phone calls, hand held radio, equipment and vehicle sounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include: close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Tools & Equipment
Tools & Equipment will vary with essential job functions, including but not limited to: Hand held scanner, telephone, hand held radio, computer, printer, scanner, copier, fax machine, writing instrument, reports, logs, spreadsheets, merchandising diagrams. Specialized tools and equipment may include point of sale terminal, forklift, pallet jack, SSC delivery vehicle.
Southern States Cooperative, Inc., is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate against individuals based on their race, color, religion or belief, national or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, family medical history or genetic information, or any other status protected by federal, state or local laws, or regulations.